Main Events and Work Results of the National Art Museum of the Republic of Belarus in 2011
Main Events and Work Results
of the National Art Museum of the Republic of Belarus
Our state actively supports national culture and art. Considerable financial resources are donated for museum exhibitions, for purchase of exhibit items, works of art by contemporary Belarusian artists. Material and technical facilities of art and culture institutions are being improved.
Thus, a 4-storeyed building at 24, Karla Marxa Street was transferred to the National Art Museum of the Republic of Belarus by order of the Head of the State in 2011. Restoration and adjustment of the museum buildings for future museum exhibitions will start in 2012.
In April 2011 the “Mir” Castle Complex that had been a branch of the National Art Museum of the Republic of Belarus for 22 years became an independent museum. On August 27-29, 2011 the Mir Castle with the involvement of the National Art Museum of the Republic of Belarus hosted first Nabokau music festival (together with the “Mir” Castle Complex, National Commission for UNESCO, Belarusian State Philharmonic Hall). Some works by French composer of Belarusian background Mikalay Nabokau (1903–1978) from Lyubcha were performed for the first time ever by famous pianist Yury Blinau. Descendants of the Svyatopolk-Mirsky prince family – Irene and Maria – were invited to the concerts.
The international conference “Cultural Heritage and Information Technologies in Post-Soviet Countries – ADIT-2011. Minsk” was held on May 10-14, 2011. Then the Museum’s CD “The BSSR State Picture Gallery. 1939–1941. Losses and Return” won the grand-prize of the professional jury.
On November 1-2 Belarusian museum workers participated in the International Museum Forum in the State Hermitage in Saint-Petersburg dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the Russian Museum Union.
The Museum’s funds were enriched by 317 storage items and reached 27,195 storage items. Six works by four Belarusian artists were bought within the scope of the state programme “Culture. 2011 – 2015”. The National Art Museum was visited by 163, 653 persons. It hosted 4,271 excursions, 61 exhibitions, 368 lecture. 3,925 works (including 3,711 items in 2011) entered the State catalogue of the Museum’s fund of the Republic of Belarus. The Supervisory Board of the Museum has started its work this year. Chairman of “BPS-Bank” Management Board Vasyl Matsyusheusky has been elected chairman of the Supervisory Board.
The National Art Museum of the Republic of Belarus has launched a new exhibition project from the Museum’s funds – “Our Collections” – in 2011. Over 300 art works have been shown including those one restored by the Museum restorers. The exhibition of Belarusian icons “Sacred Image of the Holy Virgin Theotokos in Belarusian Icon-Painting of the 17th-19th Centuries” and the exhibition of Belarusian icons of the 17th-18th centuries “Revealing the Holy Beauty. New Life of Belarusian Icons” should be specially noted. The team of 8 museum workers won a special prize of the President of the Republic of Belarus in the category “Restoration” for restoration of the icons.